Happy October! It’s soup season! I have never had much luck cooking with gnocchi making me skeptical to try this Chicken Gnocchi Olive Garden copycat recipe I stumbled across on Pinterest this weekend. To my delight I am now a fan!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced ( any vegetables you desire)
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 + 1/2 cups half & half
- 2 cups cooked white meat chicken, shredded or cut into small bites
- 1 pound potato gnocchi
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- fresh grated Parmesan and/or Romano, for serving
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat the butter and oil together over medium heat. Add onions, your choice of veggies and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender over medium-low heat about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir into the vegetables, cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the chicken broth 1 cup at a time, followed by the half & half.
- Add the cooked chicken. Bring up to a simmer and maintain for 20 minutes stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the gnocchi separately according to package directions. Add them to the soup along with the spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted. Stir in basil. Serve with grated cheese.