Months after moving down to Indianapolis my roommate at the time Kalyn and I took on our first Goodwill shopping extravaganza. Places like Goodwill and Plato’s Closet are a girl on a budgets best friend. We went to an upscale town about 20 minutes North to find some seriously great deals. Every first Saturday of the month Goodwill offers 50% off the entire store. Much to our surprise we walked out of there with a full bag of clothes.
Here are some tips on how we did it and how you can thrift shop the right way:
- Keep an open mind! Don’t expect to find a brand new pair of Steve Madden sandals minutes after you walk in the store.
- Dress comfy. Wear something that can easily be changed out of. I was wary at first about trying on used clothes but just wear a tank top and cardigan that are easy to take on and off.
- Bring friends with similar tastes to your own style.
- Be prepared to spend a lot of time sifting through racks upon racks of clothing. Kalyn and I nearly had to look at every single item on each rack. You’ll never know what hidden gems may be hiding in between some old t-shirts.
- Look for name brand, boutique items and make sure the item isn’t damaged or snagged. It’s important to make sure the piece is in good condition before purchasing.
- Don’t be afraid to leave without making any purchases at all! Some trips to Goodwill will be a total bust. Walking out of there empty handed isn’t the end of the world.