Hello Lovies! We have been engaged now for two months and the wedding planning is going great so far! It has been such a fun process making decisions together but I am completely shocked by how quickly everything is adding up cost wise for the big day!
If you are getting married we’ve already made a few decisions that have saved us thousands of dollars so maybe some of these can help you too!
1. Cut the guest list. This will slash your catering, alcohol cost and save on invitations.
2. Hold your ceremony and reception in one spot, we opted to pick a venue that is DIY. We rent the space the rest of the options are up to us, there are no minimums required for the alcohol or catering which will save us a lot of money!
3. Have bigger tables so you need fewer centerpieces and tablecloths. We have decided to go with an assortment of tables and make the atmosphere more of a mingling atmosphere opposed to a seated dinner.
4. Use more greenery, I am loving eucalyptus which is much cheaper than using a large assortment of flowers.
5. Consider using artificial flowers for your bouquets and centerpieces. I am having a friend from high school make all of our bouquets, boutonnieres and corsages for the wedding using artificial flowers instead of real.
Food & Drink
6. Skip the main course—just have passed hors d’oeuvres or stations. We have opted to do heavy appetizers and a food truck since we are doing more of a casual setting.
7. Offer beer, wine and a signature cocktail instead of a full bar.
8. Skip the champagne toast.
9. Order a small one- or two-tier cake and then supplement it with a larger sheet cake (hidden in the kitchen) or skip having a cake at all.
Stationery & Favors
10. Get single-page invites to save on postage.
11. Make your cake or dessert the favors.
12. Email your save-the-dates.
Photo, Video and Music
13. Have a photographer you love but can’t afford the prices? Ask them if they have an associate shooter who will do your wedding for less.
14. Opt for a smaller band.
15. Hire a band or DJ who can do both the ceremony and the reception.
The Internet is filled with wedding blogs and websites do your research, have fun and hopefully these ideas will help you save some money on your big day!
More money saving posts you might have missed: